Senior Software Engineer at Catchafire
New York,NY,United States
Apr 22, 2019
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
ESSENCE OF THE ROLE
Location: New York City (or remote)
The Catchafire platform team is a global agile team that develops world-class products for an audience of passionate volunteers and inspiring nonprofits.
- Engage in all aspects of software development, including architecture, documentation, testing, deployment, maintenance, and bug-fixing, primarily using Python, Django, and MySQL
- Review & shape product specs, suggest changes to optimize for ROI, eliminate edge cases, and improve UX
- Model engineering excellence & provide technical & project management guidance to other Tech Team members
- Apply modern DevOps practices across development, QA, and production systems
- Investigate new technologies and improve code quality, judiciously balancing improvements to our infrastructure & code base against feature development
You are capable of taking charge on a project. You are always looking for new technologies to explore and new ways to improve processes. You lead by example.
You are not satisfied accepting unstated assumptions or taking direction without critical evaluation. You work hard to understand the underlying purpose of each assignment and the rationale behind existing processes. You have opinions and are not shy about expressing them.
You communicate clearly and concisely. You have strong opinions loosely held and contribute your thoughts to the group. You argue your positions in an environment that encourages opposing viewpoints.
You are passionate about your code: its readability, quality, documentation and maintainability.
Though you are driven to improve subpar code and systems, you nevertheless maintain productivity and ship in challenging environments. You prioritize the right improvements at the right time.
You like challenges and are happy to be proven wrong. You welcome every opportunity to teach or learn from others. You are eager to achieve and work at all levels of responsibility.
EXPERIENCE / BACKGROUND
- 8+ years coding Python-based consumer-facing web applications
- Django web framework
- Writing & optimizing SQL queries
- Administering & configuring Ubuntu servers
- Working with a remote-first Tech Team in an agile development environment
- Leading complex projects involving cross-functional teams
Nice to Have Experience:
- Developing with IT automation tools like Docker, Ansible, etc
- Modernizing legacy components of larger systems
- Working in the social good sector
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits and flexible vacation policy
- Ability to work remotely
Work Schedule: Full-time
Salary: Not Specified
Position is expired.Thanks for your interest.
Interested in this job? Get in touch!