Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective by replacing yesterday’s pricey print publications with today’s more dynamic yet far less expensive digital content. Partnering with more than 400+ publishers and 640+ campuses nationwide, we offer leading-edge digital course materials and a seamless, end-to-end Content Delivery System for effectively distributing those materials.
As Lead Developer, you will be responsible for the technical decisions for a single product area in RedShelf. You and your team of engineers will work in close collaboration with Product Managers, QA Engineers, UX designers, and DevOps to plan and execute roadmaps that improve how students and professors interact with your product.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership to a team of developers
- Work in close collaboration with the Product Management team to create a product roadmap that balances development effort and product vision
- Architect, design, develop, deploy and operate services that serve millions of users
- Target a maintainable Agile Scrum velocity to create a high-degree of confidence in committed timelines by your team
- Be an advocate for paying down technical debt and adopting tools that maximize your team's productivity and enjoyment of their daily work
- Spread learning across the organization related to your technical expertise or domain expertise
- Coach members of your team by guiding them in architectural decisions and process decisions that follow established best practices
- Ensuring each member of their team is fulfilling their individual responsibilities and contributing to their team's success
- 10+ years of software development experience
- 4+ years of experience building successful full-stack applications, products or platforms
- 2+ years of proven experience as a technical leader for a team, product or department
- Experience deploying and operating services on Linux with AWS
- Extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an Agile environment
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience with Angular, React, or Ember is a plus
- Experience with Python and frameworks like Django is a plus
- Experience building ADA-compliant or WCAG 2.0-compliant interfaces
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing is a plus
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing
- Comfort and/or experience in a startup environment
- Ideal candidate is self-sufficient and highly motivated, self-directed and possess high energy and a passion for RedShelf
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages, including company stock options.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.