- detroit django jobs python developers in detroit
Feb 20, 2014
Company: Detroit Media Partnership (serving the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press & Gannett Michigan)
Unit: Innovation & Product Development
Let’s start with some of the benefits:
- The opportunity to reinvent the news business.
- A chance to invigorate the rise of Detroit.
- Tickets to Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons and Lions games.
- Team craft beer celebrations of project milestones (Michigan has over 130 breweries, you know)
- Ship projects that are meaningful and impact an audience that already numbers in the millions.
- Support two newsrooms that have won a combined 12 Pulitzer Prizes, in the fifth-largest news market in the country by total audience.
Very few news and publishing companies have an innovation and product development unit, so we think this is a pretty fetching opportunity. If you’ve got the chops and want to join a fired up team, we want to hear from you.
We’re looking for someone who kills it on the server side, but who could also teach a thing or two to the rest of the team on client-side. Most past projects were written in PHP, but we’ve got an across-the-board platform relaunch coming, and it’s all Python / Django.
That’s an awkward segue to tell you about our team. The Detroit Media Partnership’s Innovation and Product Development unit (I&PD) is charged with building out an innovation portfolio and pipeline of new products to grow audience, increase engagement and generate new lines of revenue.
The team includes project managers, designers, developers, systems admin, and we’re supported by colleagues in consumer research, marketing, advertising sales and, again, some top-notch journalists. We are evangelists for the human-centered design approach, also known as design thinking. We are seeking to make things that solve problems and get jobs done for information and media consumers.
For the right person, this is not only an opportunity to build cool stuff, it’s a chance to lead and teach and disrupt. Our unit is also charged with culture change, the battle against “the way things have always been done.” So if you want to have control of the full technology stack on products, as well as help transform an organization with an understanding of agile and lean principles, again, let’s talk.
- Work as part of a collaborative team of researchers, project managers, designers, developers, marketers and sales staff.
- Build consumer-facing products that will become or be part of websites, web applications, native mobile apps and more.
- Help build process and system for an organization that is defining itself (read: making it up as we go) by incorporating best practices from technology enterprises.
- Interpret user insights and balance business needs in delivering products.
- Fulfill other day-to-day project requests for our peer business units, including projects for advertisers.
We don’t care where you went to school or how long you’ve been at it, if
- Your portfolio knocks our socks off (bonus points for Github repos or other proof of participation in open source community; send Dribbble or Behance links if you’ve got design chops, too)
- You show up with innovation and product ideas, but temper that enthusiasm by knowing it’s all about finding product-market fit
- You add to a collaborative culture that’s all about seeking to understand, life-long learning and shipping awesome stuff
- Hopefully, HTML, CSS are a given, you can say what a LAMP environment is without googling it, and you’ve provisioned your own Apache, Nginx or similar servers.
Work Schedule: Full-time
Position is expired.Thanks for your interest.
Interested in this job? Get in touch!