Senior Software Developer - Python / Django at Kimetrica
Dec 21, 2015
Kimetrica’s mission is to increase the effectiveness of spending in the social sector. We provide software, research, advisory and training services for evidence-based decision making and learning. We help to increase the impact and efficiency of social investments, enhance accountability, manage critical risks and build donor confidence.
Senior Software Engineer (Python/Django)
As a member of a team, you will be building new platforms. We will be looking to you to provide input on architecture, design, and project execution. As a Python/Django specialist, you will work on building a data-centric applications using modern REST APIs. Your work includes the development of well-written code with minimal supervision. The best candidate will have mature judgement, knowing when to ask for help with a difficult issue. In addition, you will conduct independent research to identify the best approach to solve new problems and document findings.
Required Skills and Experience
Reporting to the systems architect, you will need a strong awareness of best practice development including Agile methodologies, web application security, and scalability. You should strongly believe in software quality and ensure the highest quality by following and improving processes and standards, and using automated unit tests and similar tools. We are looking for someone who is ambitious, focused, and dedicated. Working remotely is likely, and excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English are essential.
- Develop applications for statistical data capture, analysis, mapping, visualization, and decision support predominantly using Django, including:
- Design and build Django Models and associated migrations
- Design and build custom Django Admin screens and class-based views to support data entry and review
- Design and build advanced analytic tools using Python statistical libraries and/or R
- Participate in the project management process using the Redmine issue tracking system according to Agile principles including: plan Product Backlogs issues into Sprints, track Issue progress and manage Sprints, lead Sprint Demos
- Maintain technical specifications and other system documentation
- Conduct independent research to identify the best approach to solve new problems and document findings, including evaluation of third party Django and Python packages
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other programmers
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 7 years of software development experience
- 5 years of software development experience using Python and Django (including 1.6+ with South/Migrations and Unittest)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A passion for programming and software engineering
- Proven commitment to non-profit work e.g. voluntary work
(you will stand out if you have one or more of the following)
- Modern Front End skills (AngularJS or EmberJS, JQuery, HTML5/CSS3/SASS/LESS)
- Django REST Framework
- Amazon Web Services
- Opportunities for advancing your computer skills and languages
- Interesting and highly involved projects that sharpen and grow your skills
- Flexibility to work from home
- Competitive salary package
- Generous vacation, holiday and sick leave
- Travel opportunities
- Professional colleagues that are dynamic, innovative and highly committed to making a positive impact
Formed by a group of former humanitarian and development workers in 2006, Kimetrica is a rapidly growing social enterprise focused on providing policy-makers and project managers with the tools and skills they need to do their jobs well. Our work centers on providing research and knowledge management solutions for governments, bilateral donors, and not-for-profit organizations in the areas of performance management and disaster risk reduction. With offices in Ethiopia, Kenya, Moldova, South Sudan, and the US, Kimetrica employs 60 + full-time professional staff.
This is a full time position, which may be based in the District of Columbia, Boston, NYC, or other NE areas in the USA. This position can work virtually from any area.
Please apply directly on http://www.kimetrica.com/careers;
include a cover letter, CV and recent salary history. In the subject line of your email, type the position you are applying for. Title all submitted documents with your first and last name. Note that Kimetrica will only contact eligible candidates for interviews.
Work Schedule: Full-time
Salary: Not Specified
Position is expired.Thanks for your interest.
Interested in this job? Get in touch!