Engineering Manager at Lightmatter
New York City,NY,United States
Jun 02, 2022
Who We Are
For more information about how our team thinks and operates, read our company Playbook.
Why Are We Hiring?
Our team is hiring Engineering Managers (EMs)to pair with junior engineers, work hand-in-hand with our Project Managers, and to provide subject matter expertise to clients throughout the lifecycle of our engagements with them. Our EMs help their teams manage workloads, prioritize tickets, and work through bugs and blockers on a daily basis. This role is critical to our Engineering team and to the continued growth and success of Lightmatter.
More About The Role
As an EM at Lightmatter, you'll work directly with our CTO, Design team, and other engineers on a variety of software projects covering different programming languages, frameworks, and application architectures. We treat EMs as half “lead developers” and half “people managers”. You’ll be supervising others while also doing some of the day to day work, which requires you to stay nimble and fluid. Generally, we build a team around an Engineering Manager: the EM communicates with clients, makes technical decisions, pairs with team members and reviews the teams pull requests. Think: less coding and more "everyone else is writing good code".
Typical client work includes building any of the following: web and mobile apps, APIs, integrations with 3rd party tools, health-tech specific integrations, and digital transformation projects for enterprise clients.
What You’ll Do For Us
- With our CEO, Business Development team, Product Managers, and Project Managers, help Lightmatter accurately scope client work from a technical perspective. This includes participation in Sales calls as well as sprints and grooming sessions.
- Help clients avoid over-engineering solutions.
- Manage a “pod” of engineers (between 1-5 direct reports):
- Enable their growth and success through mentorship, pairing, and offering development opportunities.
- Motivate and coach through performance management, when needed, including if/when pod members are on Performance Improvement Plans.
- Provide support through daily stand-ups and regular check-ins.
- Help to unblock the team and solve technical problems.
- Communicate direction and prioritization for junior team members, assist with deliverable roadmapping, and help to assign client work based on personality and technical expertise.
- Participate in the hiring process for new Engineering talent.
- Champion a best-in-class onboarding experience for new talent on your team, including training and performance evaluation.
- Help your team ship code that works as expected, on schedule, and within budget.
- Spend some time writing code, code review, de-bugging, as well as staying current on software updates and best practices.
- Occasionally lead a client project, pending Lightmatter’s staffing schedule.
- Raise a red flag when a project needs some extra help.
What You’ll Need to Be Successful
- You have 5+ years working as a software engineer at another agency, a product-focused startup, or an enterprise company.
- You have a demonstrated history of seeking out teaching opportunities, coaching, and mentoring your peers or (if you’ve been a manager before), direct reports.
- Previous experience leading a project from conception to completion, with sole (or majority) responsibility for its success.
- You have spent some time freelancing independently, whether as a side hustle or full time. Almost everyone on our team has been an individual freelancer at one point, and understands the value of all the “work” outside of the actual deliverable for the client: excellent communication, professionalism, punctuality, and follow through.
- You have zero ego with regards to your code, can both receive and offer feedback positively, and are willing to pair and help others developing software alongside you.
- You're a self-starter. You're not afraid to take initiative but know when and how to check with others to ensure you're making the right decision. You can balance the technically correct and/or more elegant solution with what the client wants (which often differs) and can do this quickly.
- You're not afraid to ship code! We don't care if it's not done yet. Push it up and get feedback!
What We’ll Do For You
- Competitive Salary & 401k Plan
- Unlimited paid vacation and sick-leave. Team members can take what they need, when they need it. You even get a bonus if you meet our minimum annual PTO requirement.
- Paid parental leave.
- Exceptional healthcare coverage: Lightmatter pays 100% of your Dental and Vision premiums, as well as 50% of your Medical premiums.
- Work remote or wherever you work best!
- The best tech (laptops to create, headphones to flow, standing desks to stay healthy)
- Flexible hours (for that midday nap, run, long lunch, reading session, or meditation)
- Ongoing education because we like our people smart (no scrubs)
- Our company does not offer equity as we’re not a venture backed startup. However, there’s the possibility in the future of profit sharing for our employees split at year’s end based on tenure.
Lightmatter is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. Lightmatter makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Work Schedule: Full-time
Salary: Not Specified
How to Apply
Apply with This link