Senior Frontend Engineer at 15Five
San Francisco,CA,United States
Nov 23, 2021
We take pride in our position as an innovator in the Human Resources landscape. This wouldn’t be possible without our outstanding team of engineers that apply next-generation thinking to our software - their abilities allow us to continually elevate the user experience and push leading performance-management technology into the global market.
Senior Front-End Software Engineers play a chief role in building our beautiful, clean, and simple applications which embody our Best-Self philosophy. Senior Front-End Software Engineers are daily participants throughout the product life cycle and collaborate with multiple people and teams simultaneously. Senior Front-End Software Engineers have deep technical expertise as well as confidence in guiding balanced decision-making when it comes to the development of various features within the product.
- Write code and design software to solve business problems
- Synthesize multiple solutions to a problem
- Write efficient, easy-to-understand, and flexible code that results in increased customer value
- Make logical decisions keeping in mind various tradeoffs and main stakeholders
- Apply 15Five standards, guidelines, and practices to writing quality code
- Balance complexity, readability, performance, maintainability, flexibility, and other tradeoffs
- Lead problem-solving initiatives and escalate problems with a wider scope in a timely manner
- Work with Design on interactive mock-ups that demonstrate concepts to product owners
- Assist in team development and actively mentor fellow engineers
- Participate in code reviews, using each opportunity for training and mentoring the wider Engineering team
- Build and maintain engineering processes, standards, guidelines, and best practices
- Adhere to guidelines, making sound decisions on a case-by-case basis and escalating as necessary
- Develop processes to minimize situations that require decisions outside of established rules
- Assist and mentor other engineers in their professional development
- Participate in the hiring process, evaluate and screen candidates, conduct or lead interviews when required
- Job Level Definition - Seen as a subject matter expert in most role areas. Demonstrates ability to lead and solve difficult problems. Able to improve results by leveraging data and technology
- Strategic Scope: Primarily tactically focused with some strategic efforts. Exhibits medium-term thinking through issue identification, proposals, and ownership of execution. Recognizes and plans work-arounds for potential obstacles from within the Engineering department.
- Level of Responsibility - Is able to independently serve a role and work on short and medium-term objectives with minimal supervision. Handles issues that arise through the day-to-day execution of the function. Proactively identifies and delivers new ways to contribute to the company and team. Independently finds ways to be productive.
- Cognition & Scalability - Has excellent knowledge of subject areas. Resolves medium-scope problems independently and consistently demonstrates understanding of short and long-term impacts. Has the ability to coach others through problem identification, evaluation, recommendation, and implementation. Guides others in balancing short and long-term solutions to help expand the business. Proactive in identifying issues, root causes and mapping out data needed to solve related problems. Prioritize problems to solve and is able to delegate appropriately. Thrives as a self-starter in a fast-paced environment and is excited by change and ambiguity. Is intentionally agile - willing and able to change, develop, and adopt new processes. Continuously learns and acts quickly with flexibility.
- Leadership & Accountability - Acts as an informed participant in department-level decisions. Provides mentorship and guidance to junior team members. Contributes to a sense of safety in your work relationships by ensuring your words align with your actions. Acts as a strong mentor/advisor by immediate team members.
- Communication & Influence - Able to negotiate and advocate for a team with cross-functional peers in a productive, professional way. Supports cross-team challenges to determine and effective resolution. Demonstrates knowledge and competencies in 15Five’s culture and employee engagement. Creates an inclusive and effective team environment for collaboration. Encourages a sense of belonging and ensures equitable treatment for all.
Customer & External Focus - Understands and articulates 15Five’s position within the competitive landscape. Representation 15Five well. Demonstrates empathy for and considerations the clients and users in execution of work
- 3+ years of experience with front-end development
- 2+ years of experience with CSS preprocessors and expertise with mix-ins, variables, functions
- Experience working as a designer or very closely with a design team
- Experience with existing CSS frameworks (e.g., Bootstrap, Foundation, etc.)
- Experience creating applications that interact with back-end web frameworks (e.g., Django, Ruby on Rails, Spring, Laravel, etc.)
- Skilled with optimizations such as caching, minimal code for fastest loading and rendering
- Clear communication skills
- Capable of effectively evaluating data to make decisions
- Able to collaborate well with a team of designers, product managers, and business stakeholders
- Understand the cross-functionality of various technical systems
- Understand the connections and interdependencies between teams and departments
- Produce exceptional output and work quality
- Have a strong reputation for accountability and reliability
- Comfortable owning projects
- Willing to express opinions on various designs
- Enjoy writing clean and maintainable code accompanied by useful tests
- Enjoy working in a team but can thrive working independently
- Desire to always be learning and staying on top of the latest trends and technologies
- Passionate about being extraordinary in both your work life and personal life
- Value elegant simplicity, beautiful aesthetic, attention to detail, and human-centric design
SAMPLE WEEK IN THE LIFE
- Monday: Begin the week with the all-hands Boost to hear company updates and meet new hires, join the squad stand-up, then review pull requests and write code for product features/bugs
- Tuesday: Determine technical details or implementation with the squad before joining the squad huddle to review top-level initiatives, then research and resolve a few bugs and write product code
- Wednesday: Meet with your manager for a 1:1 followed by the company Boost for an in-depth department update, spend the rest of the day on a project from your engineering working group
- Thursday: Join the bi-weekly Engineering meeting ahead of global happy hour, review pull requests, write code for product features and/or bugs, and write your 15Five check-in
- Friday: Participate in the Question Friday Boost call, join a planning session for the upcoming spring, write product code, and then finish your week by submitting your 15Five
Founded in 2011, 15Five equips HR leaders to play a strategic role in their company’s growth. HR leaders use 15Five to combine engagement, performance, and OKRs on one platform so they can make insightful decisions and take strategic action. Unlike other ‘command and control’ performance systems, 15Five uses the latest in people science to turn managers and employees into self-driven owners of performance and engagement. To further the impact of talent on company growth, 15Five also provides education, coaching, and community for HR leaders, managers, and employees. HR leaders at over 2,800 companies, including Credit Karma, Spotify, and Pendo, rely on 15Five’s software and services to make their talent a growth driver.
At 15Five we focus on building a diverse team that prioritizes inclusivity and celebrates everyone’s unique identity. We are proud of our thriving hybrid culture that supports a remote-first workplace balanced with distributed office hubs, and annual opportunities for all employees to connect in person. We also offer: full Medical, Dental, and Vision, employer paid Term, Short Term and Long Term Disability, paid Sick Time Off, Military Leave, Jury Duty Leave, Unlimited Vacation, flexible work arrangements, up to 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave for birth and non-birth parents, Bereavement Leave, therapy and relationship counselling, weekly Best-Self Time, monthly stipend for wellness, monthly reimbursement for phone and/or internet, Sabbatical Program accessed at 5 or 7 Years and Retirement Account Program with 4% match at 6 months employment. We also provide extensive training and development such as strengths discovery and alignment and Manager specific development opportunities.
For more information see:
Our Mission, Vision & Values
Our People and Culture
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Our Personal & Professional Development Resources
Reading over the role description and feeling like you don’t check every box? That’s okay; if you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily meet all the criteria, please apply—you could be exactly who we are looking for!
Work Schedule: Full-time
How to Apply
Apply with https://jobs.lever.co/15five/ae9de2df-e579-47fe-8550-94dac96fc3cc